With flu shots now available across the country, and consumers stocking home medicine cabinets
ahead of the coming cold and flu season, the Acetaminophen Awareness Coalition has issued a
consumer message to “Double Check, Don’t Double Up” on acetaminophen when treating winter
illnesses. The Know Your Dose campaign alerts consumers that acetaminophen is the most common drug
ingredient in the country, and is found in more than 600 medications, including prescription and
over-the-counter pain relievers, fever reducers, sleep aids, and numerous cough medicines.
Acetaminophen is safe and effective when used as directed, but exceeding recommended dosage can
lead to liver damage.
To be protected against accidentally taking more acetaminophen than they should, Know Your Dose
encourages consumers to:
• Read and follow the directions on their medicine labels,
• Know which medicines contain acetaminophen,
• Never take two medicines that contain acetaminophen at the same time, and
• Ask health care providers or pharmacists if they have any questions about proper dosing.
NCPIE is a member of the Acetaminophen Awareness Coalition. Check out:
• Safe Use of Acetaminophen for Seniors
• Acetaminophen Safe Use College Resource Guide Click Here